Biker Bodie is too old to cross Canada

Biker Bodie is too old to cross Canada
Question is, are we?

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Calgary

Today's mileage- 305 windy km
Today we quite literaly blew into town. With an early start and a fill up in Coleman we made the Alberta border around 10:30. I took a picture of Jill and I at the 'Welcome to Alberta' sign but don't have it on this computer to add to the blog. We made a stop at the site of Frank Slide, a spectacle that has awed me since childhood.
Turning north on Hwy 22 is a shorter trip than going to #2. At the turn off it is 135 K's to Black Diamond with no services in between. From the moment we turned we were riding our bikes at an angle that matches the lean around Angel Rock. The crosswind was unbelievable. Then there were the signs that said "Caution! Wind Gusts next 16 K". It really emphasized the lean when you looked at bikes coming the other way.

I managed to keep the trailer on the road and Jill's arms hung on just barely 'till we reached Black Diamond. We had lunch and coffee in a funky little coffee shop there. At the gas station other bikers were commenting on the winds too. They never let up all the way to my parents place. I really hope that it is not like this through all the prairies. Aside from the wind today was an easy 305 k with most of the speed limit at 100.
Jill adds...
Felt good to wake up today and know we'd be on the bikes.
The morning was sunny and freshly washed (yes more rain, but just a sprinkle) and the hillsides were a clean verdant green. The highway changed from twisties to wonderful sweeping curves. The riding easier, but windy from the start.
Was taken with Island Lake where the road was a treed causeway surrounded by white capped water, the back drop a huge grey mountain.
The entire trip, the changes that occur in the countryside within a half hour of riding have been a constant surprise. I've driven this road many times, but being on the bike and out there emphasizes the colours and smells.
Beyond Crowsnest Pass, it's suddenly the foothills and the winds gusts down from the mountain passes. After we turned onto Hwy 22 we were at it's mercy. I've never experienced anything like it. This may sound overly dramatic, but truely, the wind took my breath away. I was tacking more than riding and had to hold on really tight & push steer on the wind side. Found myself yelling the "f" word several times. Gib's right. The lean on approaching bikes looked comical.
Found myself cringing & making a guitar face every time a semi went by. Must have been a frightening picture for the drivers.
I've heard stories about the dangers of turbulence on a bike, but never put much stock in it until today.
Did feel much better about being a carnivore after passing herds of fat cattle able to wander freely along the tree lined rivers, some following trails to the top of the hills, a good cow life. 'Course the abbatoir part isn't nice, but hopefully that's brief. But, I digress.
Found the next 160k throughly tiring. Had to really concentrate on holding my position and my death grip on the handlebars made my arms ache. Had to remind myself to relax my shoulders and hands from time to time, but always on guard for the next gust. Was dying for the promised coffee stop, but there's no cafes in cow country.
My other thought on today was memories of Ewan and Charlie in "the Long Way Round" DVD. They each had only one accident in their biking trip around the world, and they both occurred in Calgary! The roads had me scared to visit Grant's parents. Also some concerns my pink helmet would make me the target of SUV's driven by young rednecks raised by controlling mothers.
Well, it wasn't much fun, but I lived to tell the tale. Gib kept to the centre lane on Deerfoot Trail, but the driving cross winds and yet more semis made holding lane position a challenge.
The wind carried alot of dust so my mouth and eyes felt gritty. Felt tears running down my face. Irritated by airborne grit or scared for my life? Not sure.
Wonderful to turn the corner into Mel and Elsie's lovely quiet tree-lined street and be out of the wind. Mel, who never lies, told us that the winds in southern Alberta have been know to tip semis.
Treated to a warm welcome here, more homemade cookies and possibly the best cup of tea of my life. Great to be here with Grant's family who are wonderful people. Big lamb dinner planned for tomorrow. Yum!
Gib checked his maintenance log book just before the trip and was startled to see he only had 4000k left on his tires. He's set up an appointment for tomorrow, delighted to hear they are on sale & bonus, no sales tax! Gib loves a bargain!
Just received an email with a Bodie update. Apparently he is suffering from withdrawal from no table scraps and has been sold for $100! Nice.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds scarey... on the up side Jill you're going to have awesome upper body strength when you're done! So nice you could end up in a "homey" place after a ride like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep on truckin' you guys. You're no wimps!
    Brett and Justin arrived yesterday. Brett looks great and feels good. Baby due on the 8th. Love your blog!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. JIll, your descriptions bring back memories of our trip to Saskatchewan all those years ago - the cross winds were terrible!

    ReplyDelete

Followers