Biker Bodie is too old to cross Canada

Biker Bodie is too old to cross Canada
Question is, are we?

Monday, June 29, 2009

Outside Regina-Canada is BIG

Well here we are at Comfort Plus Campground with internet again. Yesterday, Sunday, we left Calgary just before my folks headed to church. We had a wonderful time there. We were fed like royalty for which we are ever grateful. On Friday night my dad bbq'ed lamb chops and my sister Melanie, her husband Kim and daughter Lisanne joined us. Melanie and Lisanne were off to Almagora, New Mexico the next morning to visit a cousin (Norm's sister). Awesome desserts after every meal, Jill adds.

Once again we had some of those famous prairie winds again on our ride, but not as bad as the other day on Hwy. 22. We left Calgary on Hwy. 1 East and travelled to near Crowfoot where we headed north on 56 to Drumheller. With a new front tire installed in Calgary, I worried how I'd ever get the sides scuffed on these straight roads. In Drumheller we visited the largest dinosaur and climbed up for a picture. After eating in town we drove out 570 to the Hoodoo Trail and stopped at the hoodoos. We continued along 570 until I began to worry about gas so we cut north to Cereal where I hoped to top up. Sadly there was only a cardlock station which was closed on Sundays. But we made it to Oyen and fueled there. That is one of the problems about going on the very secondary highways. We stuck to Hwy 9 to the Saskatchewan border where it becomes no. 7. Kindersley was as far as we went (about 400k). There we found a regional campground where we stayed. We met some nice folks from Chilliwack there. There was a bit of a blow through the night but the morning was calm. A bit cloudy though.

Jill- Well, Sunday I had a fine day! Finally, after having lived in Alberta for 7 years, I got to see a hoodoo. They were smaller than I imagined and from on-site photos noticably smaller than they were 100 years ago due to erosion and the mischief of man. Fascinating to think Alberta was once at the bottom of a vast inland sea swimming with strange creatures. 2009, a cactus is in full flower amongst the grasses.
We're enjoying these secondary highways. There's almost no traffic, strip malls etc. 570 was a delight, starting out with the hills of the badlands and scattered hoodoos to our left, the road snaked along following a river on our right. The landscape soon became more green and lush with groves of trees.
Loved the area around East Coulee. I would recommend 570 to any biker in the area. The road surface is excellent with sweeping curves and the lack of traffic make it a relaxing ride.
Soon got into some real prairie, flat and golden. The horizon is so vast it feels like you can see the curvature of the earth.
The ranch are vast and the old homesteads abandoned. The houses seem to have small windows. I imagine that's a practical choice. Thought about the early settlers. It must have been a hard lonely life.
Once again, some prairie wind, but nothing like what we'd experienced down south. Rode with my buff up over my face for protection from the wind, like some muslim granny biker.
The fields we passed were a pale gold against the blue sky. I led for abit and with no cars either way, could relax and look around. Spotted several coyotes loping along beside the road, one just to my right beside the concrete and too cool to be bothered by our presence. If I were a coyote, I'd live here. There's lots of fat, glossy gophers and no people of any kind for mile and miles.
Was treated to the rare sight of a badger attempting to cross the road. He saw the bike and thought better. How cool to see a badger in the wild.
Passed what looked like a gazelle kind of animal laying on it's side in a field. It seemed to have long horns and a while ruff around it's neck. The field looked like the grasslands of Africa and I wondered if what I saw was really some bleached wood and tufts of grass and my mind had embroidered the rest. Except today, monday, we saw what must have been antelope on both sides of the road.
It was a relaxing and enjoyable ride. One of the best I've experienced on the bike.

Gib again...
This morning, Monday, our journey eastward on Hwy. 7 to Rosetown was under threatening skies, but it wasn't till we were on no. 15 that we met a few sprinkles. After pulling out the rain gear we didn't hit any more. We took our first coffee break in Outlook at a funky little coffee shop called CJ's. They looked at the dark skies that were following us and prayed that they might get some rain for a change. The crops are about a month behind.
We picked up some Drambui at the liquor store for evenings and back at the bikes we met a couple who had driven to the east coast on their bike years earlier. We had a very pleasant conversation with them and fortunately I mentioned that we planned to continue on Hwy. 15. The fellow warned me that after Kenaston that route gets very bad with lots of gravel. So with his advice we turned south on 11 at Kenaston. With only the one stop a Craik that I will let Jill talk about we came on to Regina and are now about 12k east on no. 1. Today we did about 420 k and found it pretty easy.
I'll give over to Jill now...

Woke up early and walked abound a resevoir adjacent to our campground. Lovely to be beside the water again. Lots of water fowl and what I suspect was a muskrat out for an early morning swim. Felt good to stretch and move around after a bike day.
The sky looked quite dark with gathering clouds this morning and I was concerned about rain. Asked at the gas station and the attendant said not to be too concerned. They'd only had 1 1/2 inches of rain since the Fall, a cold Spring and the crops were decimated. Having done to Catholic school, I felt too guilty to consider hoping it wouldn't rain. At our stop in Kenastin, saw a sign in the window of an insurance office. "Hail Rates for 2009 Now In!" Phew!
We were told about Craik, it's Eco Centre and the houses built from flax bales. It was an experiment in sustainable living and was very interesting. I can attain to the fact that compost toilets have entirely no odour. The building were cooled with an interesting system of underground pipes. All the gardens were planted with native plants, didn't require watering and were drought resistant.
We rode around Regina using a by-pass route, but the traffic was horrific after our quiet country roads.
We're at the Comfort Campground and I'm writing this from a couch in an old one room school house that functions as the Recreation Hall. I'm the only one recreating which suits me. Good to be able to lean back in comfort and get out of the wind and sun.
Feels natural and good riding my nimble little bike. My arms and legs feel stronger now after a winter of desk and couch. Guess I'm a tough old bird.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers